Friday 1 February 2013

Wings On My Back


Join me in the Five Minute Friday Challenge hosted by Lisa-Jo Baker. Participants write for 5 minutes with no editing, no over thinking, and no backtracking. This week’s word is: Afraid.

 

(Go)

I didn't grow up like the other children. I didn't wear the designer brand clothes. Heck, I was lucky to have new clothes that weren't my sisters’ hand-me-downs. I didn't watch all the popular television shows. For a while there we didn't even have a TV. From ages three through eight I didn't live in suburbia. Instead I lived in a very padded little habitat. I attended a Christian school during the week, went to Church on Sundays and lived on a Bible College and Missionary Training campus. My only outings into the ‘real’ world involved a tight grip on my mother’s hand at the supermarket.  In truth, my naïve childish mind was terrified of the public school just up the road.

So when Dad was diagnosed with leukaemia and we were sent ‘home’ to recoup it was like entering another world. Culture shock would be a very appropriate term here.

Although I am naturally an introvert, I often wonder if I’m still getting over it. Still learning how to fit in. For years I doubted my worth and was afraid to be myself lest it offend someone and they should think I was foolish.

But God did a wonderful thing. He moved my new little family one thousand kilometres away to a country town where nobody knew my past. Nobody had any preconceived notions of who I was. He placed my feet among a group of Godly women who loved me for me. They pointed out the wings on my back and then encouraged me to fly.

I am eternally grateful for those years. Though I may still be nervous (and I suspect I always will be) in new situations or with folk I do not know so well - I know that God made me special. I have no need to fear who I am.

(Stop)

Now, your turn…


13 comments:

  1. oh you're so right ... those life-altering occurances surely do stay with us ... but the good news is they don't have to define who we are. only HE has the power to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! and once I got a grip on that - wow!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lizzy
    I saw your comment at Barbie's and decided to pay you a visit? I am so glad that those beautiful women pointed out and made you aware of the wings on your back! Such wisdom. They could so easily have clipped your wings instead of encouraging you to fly!
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to question why we needed to be so far from home to 'get away' from the attitudes of the past. I see so clearly now that it was simply where the people I needed so much lived. I miss them dearly. Thank you for your encouraging words - bit by bit God is introducing me to a new group of beautiful women through blogging. Bless you heaps!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your transparent heart! Although I've never walked this road, I am an introvert. I can only imagine the fears and anxieties you experienced during the troubling news and transition. So thankful for HIS faithfulness, strength and protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!! I can't even begin to imagine what my life would have looked like without Him. Thank you for stopping by. Bless you heaps :o)

      Delete
  4. Well I think you are Fabulous! From what I know of you, you are a rare one. Refreshing. Someone who actually cares about others and is not mostly about self. Someone with integrity and uniqueness. It's a rare find to have these qualities. That is why I am so glad we stumbled upon each other. I understand to a degree how you feel though. So glad you have learned to embrace who you are over the years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (Blush). You are a unique beautiful gem yourself. Bless you HEAPS ;)

      Delete
  5. This "They pointed out the wings on my back and then encouraged me to fly." - brought tears to my eyes. So thankful for those who helped you to realize your identity in Him. I am too walking this journey. Thank you for stopping by my blog! So thankful to have found your place. I am following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by and thank you for your encouragement. It's a treasure. Bless you heaps :o)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! I really liked living those "5 minutes" with you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing five minutes with me! Lovely to have you here. Blessings :o)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...