Thursday 18 April 2013

Nifty Notion #8: Pumpkin Soup (dairy free)


Whether the weather is just warming up or cooling down, this recipe makes an ideal meal that’s quick and easy with minimal preparation required.

Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup, Lizzy Style
Serves 5-6

Before we begin I have to say that I rarely measure things exactly and often make it up as I go along – adding a splosh of this and a handful of that. This is one such meal. I will do my best to give quantities but they are really only an approximation.

You will need:
1/3 large pumpkin (I use Kent or Jap)
3-4 medium potatoes
1 medium to large onion
5-6 small garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 litre water
1 cup red lentils
1 tablespoon mixed dry herbs
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I’m not really sure of the quantity here – I give the bottle a hearty shake and then a bit more. I guess it’s up to individual taste)
½ desert spoon honey
Salt to taste

How to:
  1. Roughly chop pumpkin and potatoes into chunks. Peel and quarter onions. Peel garlic and cut in half.
  2. Put in large saucepan with oil. Cook (stirring occasionally) until onion softens and pumpkin and potato begin to brown.
  3. Add water, lentils, herbs, sauce, honey and salt.
  4. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer (stirring occasionally) until everything is well cooked and quite soft.
  5. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
  6. Serve and Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...