Monday 6 August 2012

Consider the Lilies of the Field…and the Tiny Sea Shells


Do you ever doubt that God cares?

I must confess to thinking like that from time to time. Let me tell you a story of one such time…

I was over dealing with life’s daily issues, tired of not knowing how to communicate properly with my Asperger’s son, and frustrated with my own physical limitations. My soul was dry. I needed a hug and a holiday. I needed to know and feel that somebody cared.

Thankfully school holidays were fast approaching. Recognising the need to just get away and have some fun as a family we booked ourselves a week of camping in a quiet little coastal town we had never been to.

Somehow we managed to squeeze everything we needed (minus a few things we forgot) in our not quite big enough car. Day one began with a happy morning splashing about in the beautiful clear calm water. I ran my fingers through the wet sand intending to show my youngest how to make sand ‘dribblies’. Something caught my eye. Not much bigger than the rough grains of sand was a teeny weeny but perfect little shell. I absolutely adore miniature stuff so was delighted with this discovery. 


  Over the next few days, each time we went for a swim, I kept an eye out for more miniature marvels.
   

By the end of our trip it had dawned on me that God was pointing out these tiny treasures just for me.
  

Studying each little shell I quickly came to realise that just because they are miniscule does not mean they are simple. They are just as detailed as their bigger counterparts. 

 
The thought came to mind, if God takes the time to make these so perfectly detailed - how much more does he care for us?!…hmm this is sounding familiar…
  
'See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendour was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you...' (Matthew 6: 28-30)


 Yes! God cares. He cares that life can overwhelm at times. He cares very much. He cares enough to put such intricate detail into his creation and then makes sure that I see it. Like a little love letter I am reminded just how treasured I am. 



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Lizzie - your post reminds me not to "despise the day of small things" Bless you. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meg! Blessings, Lizzy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son tells me "You can make a girl like anything if you just make it tiny". lol I had to think about that and then concurred he probably was right. I just love seashells. It was cool to see them so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :o) Well I'm certainly a sucker for all things miniature! :oD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...