Wednesday 28 August 2013

On Standing and Staring

We took a little detour on our way home this morning and ended up at the nursery. I often day dream of growing a Jacaranda tree. There is an empty spot up the back of the yard that would suit one perfectly.

We meandered around taking in all the plants. Fruits trees with exotic sounding names that were new to us. Old favourites that might one day come to reside happily in our garden. Eventually we found what we were there for; a scruffy little plant that will someday be majestic.



I wandered over to inspect the stands of flower punnets. To see what might catch my eye and ask kindly to be brought home. Hoping to inspire a spot of weeding and general TLC out the front.

Along the way some daffodils smiled at me. Tucked in with them were some beauties I had not previously met. Jonquils. The name was familiar but that is really all I knew. Drawn in by the beauty I breathed in their perfume, ultimately concluding that these would be coming home too.



I have needed dearly lately to stop and take care of me. Overwhelmed by life and feeling so completely inadequate. Not much writing has been happening. Sometimes I feel bad about that. Really though? It’s okay.  My back is thanking me for finally getting around to booking that physio appointment. I trust that with better rest and just taking each day as it comes (because can we really do anything else?) that the little bit I am able to accomplish each day will eventually reduce the mountain to a manageable mole hill.

Instead of living in a mindset of constant exhaustion I am giving myself permission to be still and know.

To stand and stare.

Jacarandas and Jonquils help.





WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

‘Leisure’ – W. H. Davies

6 comments:

  1. There are moments every day when it is desirable to stand and stare. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden makes the perfect backdrop too... thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. A face-paced society often forgets the beauty and refreshment that can be found in slowing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I loved that poem at the end! It's just the kind of way I try to live...this stopping and staring at what's around us. The super fast paced life is not for this girl. :) Flowers do cheer one up, don't they? Now you have me wondering about the Jonquils! I love flowers that smell nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh - get thee to a nursery and find some Jonquils to smell!!! haha ;)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...